Thursday, May 10, 2007

Myth Box

Yesterday I installed the Edgy Eft (6.10 - i.e. October 2006) version of Ubuntu on my Pentium-III-450 box with the TV tuner. It's the first time I have seriously tried to use Ubuntu and I am very pleased - it has a much smaller memory footprint than SUSE of Mandrake cum Mandriva.

I managed to configure networking without too much hassle - my Celeron-600 box which runs OpenSuSE 10.1 acts as a router to my internal network. Then I got repositories loaded up and managed to get synaptic to download and install most myth components. It fell over at mySQL database configuration time, however.

Still, although there will be some tweaking to get myth configuration even up and running, I am very impressed with Ubuntu.

I've also got a mind to try out Kubuntu again (I gave it a brief look back when Ubuntu first came out). That's because I've always preferred KDE to Gnome (still do). At present, the Feisty Fawn (7.04) CD version of that is downloading in the background.

1 Comments:

At 9:15 pm, Blogger Rodney said...

Martin,

Check out www.guru.net.nz for a mate of mine who does lots with Ubuntu. May be able to help if you get stuck with anything... not that you will get stuck of course!

Rodney

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home