Saturday, June 02, 2007

Tainted Trinitarian Thelology Trouble

Tomorrow being Trinity Sunday, or The Feast of The Holy Trinity I have considered most of this week the state of Trinitarian Theology.  On Wednesday morning I used a school drama resource to show the school staff at the devotion I lead how easy it is to fall into a modalistic heresy.  Then, also Wednesday, I led the Pastors in the Wimmera/Mallee Zone in confessing the Athanasian Creed.

Hitherto, I have always used the Athanasian Creed on Trinity Sunday in its entirety.  I note with some concern, however, that our own LCA Worship Resources encourage the ommission of parts pf the Creed if used during a divine service.  The bits to be missed - those that condemn unbelief in what is confessed in the creed.

It seems akin to the Revised Common Lectionary skipping over verses in the Psalms that damn evildoers, or skipping Revelation 22:18-19, and thus ironically fulfilling them.

The Trinitarian Theology we have is the result of much labour to avoid heresy - to incautiously cast some of it aside is to flirt with disaster.

4 Comments:

At 3:57 am, Blogger Xrysostom said...

At least the LCMS hasn't yet gone so far. Confessing Quicunque Vult without the condemnations smacks of preaching a Law-Gospel sermon without the Law. I can imagine the next "seeker-friendly" trend in Lutheranism: A Book of Concord sans all the condemnations in its various parts. Some sections would be just a bit more slender; others would probably lose almost 50% of their total size.

Anyhow, it's good to meet another Lutheran who sounds like he wants to be Lutheran ... in thought, word, and deed.

And in a Trinity Sunday-related "by the way," I also subscribe to Agnus Day, but didn't use it this week. The LCMS varies from the RCL at certain times and our appointed Gospel for Series C is John 8:48-59. Talk about condemnations: "If I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you...."

 
At 7:13 am, Blogger Martin Scharnke said...

Thanks for the encouraging words, Walter. It's great to know that someone out there reads my mumbles - or should that be rants?

 
At 12:35 pm, Blogger Orycteropus Afer said...

I think that it's time also to add another Australian blog to the Big Blogroll O' Vark.

 
At 4:30 pm, Blogger Orycteropus Afer said...

Welcome to the Big Blogroll O' Vark, Martin.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home